We all make mistakes when we write. Misspellings, wrong tenses, or even incorrect sentence structures can completely ruin your work.
We all know how frustrating it is when our work gets rejected. Be it a school or work assignment, a freelance job, etc. Feeling below par is not a good emotion. You end up wasting your time, energy, and money!
However, this doesn’t have to be the case. In our ever-innovative world, you have access to many sources of help. And one of them is Grammarly. In this post, I’ll take you through all about it. What it is, it’s positives as well as downsides.
At the end of it all, we’ll be able to have an unbiased answer to if Grammarly improves your writing.
What Is Grammarly And How Does It Work?
Grammarly is simply a cloud-based writing assistant powered by AI.
This application checks your written content for grammatical errors and suggests corrections where necessary. With Grammarly, you never have to worry about mistakes again! Or at least that’s what’s promised.
Grammarly provides self-editing services that are accessible for free on most devices and platforms. But note the free version is limited in features.
It works by checking the text you type against its database of grammar rules and word lists to find possible errors in your writing. The program highlights potential issues in different colors depending on how severe they are.
3 Ways to Improve Your Writing With Grammarly
Not everyone can be Stephen King, but we can get close. With the use of Grammarly, you can cut through many of the known barriers. Barriers that stop many from feeling confident in their writing.
We all know writing has many facets. To master effective writing, all these elements have to be in sync. Eradicating grammatical errors is not enough on its own. If the appropriate tone is lacking, you are unlikely to hit the right chords with your readers.
So what are these three features that improve your writing?
The first and most critical tool is Grammarly’s online writing enhancement feature. It scans over any given document and provides feedback on grammar, spelling, and punctuation mistakes that you have made.
And since it is AI-powered, it goes beyond your typical spell checker. It takes cognizance of context. For example, it can identify the correct use of effect and affect or compliment and complement depending on the context.
Grammarly provides useful suggestions where it deems rephrasing a sentence will create a better understanding.
You have the option to use the online editor or browser extension.
Also, you can select the appropriate English language preference to check from your account – American English, British English, or otherwise.
The tone of a language is simply how a message is framed. It’s not enough to simply correct your grammar. How you say it matters.
Let’s assume an office setting example. You do not agree with your manager’s recommendations sent by email. In your response, you do not want to come across as condescending or disrespectful.
Your choice of words and how you frame the sentences will determine the boss’s impression. Do you sound civil and concerned or otherwise.
Grammarly can assist to this end through its tone detector by analyzing your word choice and expression.
In the online editor, you can select the tone you want from the Set Goals options before you start crafting your writing.
Besides having readable content, your writing needs to be free from theft of others’ work. It’s understandable that everyone researches existing work to enhance their content. However, blatant copying will get you in trouble.
It is especially severe in academic writing. Google also penalizes this behavior online in blogging. And the results can be dire. Your well-to-do blog will see a drop in traffic which is the lifeblood of online money making.
The plagiarism checker feature, hence, ensures your content is free of duplicate content before you publish it. If you have to copy, correctly cite your sources.
Grammarly Plans And Pricing
Grammarly comes in three distinct packages.
- If you want to test-drive Grammarly without spending a dime, the FREE plan facilitates that. Despite being free, it packs a punch in grammar and spelling checks.
- For the one-off report writing, this plan proves invaluable. You only need to create an account and get cracking. Not everyone likes to write. But once in a while, you’ll come across a writing task.
- It doesn’t have to be work-related. You can also check your Facebook posts for accurate English before posting, especially if you are not a native English speaker.
- For everyday occupational needs, you’ll need access to more capability. Beyond the basic grammar check, you want to determine the tone of voice. Checking for plagiarism, establishing a formality level, clarity sentence rewrites, etc., are all contained within the premium plan.
- The premium plan costs start from $12 per month (paid annually). I think this is pretty affordable if writing is a big part of your work.
- Grammarly usually offers scintillating offers you cannot overlook around Black Fridays.
- The business plan is designed for teams, like a firm providing professional content writing services or a print media house. It makes more sense to have a harmonized package that individual premium plan for each writer.
- But this is not only about the umbrella plan. It has more features. For example, you can set a brand tone and staff account roles and permissions.
- This plan costs start from $12.50 per member per month.
Downsides To The Use Of Grammarly
While Grammarly has tons of features to improve your writing, it has limitations. I’m yet to come across anything manmade that does not have flaws.
Grammarly Will Not Solve Writer’s Block
Unlike applications like Jarvis, CopyAI, and Rytr, Grammarly does not generate content ideas. With Grammarly, the onus of creativity is on you rather than a program.
It only works on correcting already written content.
Grammarly Is Not Entirely Foolproof
While the English language has several rules, some elements like context are hard to regulate.
You can use words in a sentence structure to mean something different from the actual meaning, for example, in idioms and analogies. The grammar can be sound, but only a human eye and brain can detect defects in such circumstances.
My Grammarly Review Conclusion
As it’s evident, Grammarly’s benefits greatly outweigh its shortcomings. If you take a long-term approach, Grammarly will improve your writing significantly. There’s no alternative for practice.
Even talented writers write every day to achieve their prowess.
I’ve been using Grammarly for over six months now, and I can attest to its capabilities. Once in a while, I revisit past blog posts I wrote before using Grammarly. I’m always in shock at how many grammar mistakes slip my editing.
If you are yet to use it, start today or with your next writing project. And if you’ve been using it for a while, let me know what you think about it in the comments section.